posted May 7, 2012, 11:27 AM by Lou Sgroi
updated Apr 29, 2014, 1:10 PM
The theme for 13th
National Indian Nations Conference is, “Strength from Within: Rekindling Tribal Traditions to assist Victims of Crime.” This year's conference goals are:
- Strength from Within: Rekindling Tribal Traditions to assist Victims/Survivors - Promoting traditional values and incorporating traditional skills in crime victim services; upholding wellness, mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally; and framing victim services around tribal traditions.
- Honoring the Wisdom of the Past - Understanding historical trauma as a way to heal; enlisting tribal elders as keepers of our tribal histories; and embracing traditional teachings.
- Honoring and Listening to Victim/Survivor Voices - Creating victim-centered/sensitive responses; being inclusive of victim/survivors - particularly those from un-served, underserved, and other populations - to achieve safety, justice and healing; and promoting peer to peer learning opportunities.
- Promoting Safety, Justice and Healing - Justice for victims; justice for all; understanding the various jurisdictional issues particularly those in Public Law 280 states; exercising tribal sovereignty to promote safety and justice for victims; highlighting the resiliency of spirituality and healing in tribal communities; addressing child sexual abuse and education on developing sexual assault programs for victims of child sexual abuse in tribal communities; and including a special emphasis on crime victims within the juvenile justice system and strong support for keeping youth within the community.
- Supporting and Educating Tribal Leaders - Educating and supporting efforts of tribal leaders to achieve accountability and responsibility to victims of crime.
- Working in Harmony - Building the partnerships with federal agencies; Education on the importance of networking and working together in collaboration to strengthen services such as partnering with technology experts; and networking with Native men to address domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Sustaining our Legacy - Developing skills and incorporating cultural approaches to enhance sustainability and measurability; and increasing the accuracy of victimization research.
- Healing the Healers - Ensuring safety and support for service providers.