posted May 16, 2014, 6:00 PM by Lou Sgroi
updated May 27, 2014, 12:24 PM
This year's conference theme is, “Generational Voices Uniting for Safety, Justice, and Healing
This year's conference goals are:
- Honoring and Listening to Victim/Survivor Voices: Creating
victim-centered/sensitive responses; being inclusive of
victim/survivors particularly those from un‐served or underserved
populations; and promoting peer to peer learning opportunities.
- Promoting Safety, Justice and Healing: Justice for
victims; justice for all; understanding jurisdictional issues;
exercising tribal sovereignty to promote safety and justice for victims;
and highlighting the resiliency of spirituality and healing in tribal
- Honoring the Wisdom of the Past: Understanding historical trauma; enlisting tribal elders as keepers of our tribal histories; and embracing traditional teachings.
- Promoting Traditional Values: Promoting traditional
values and incorporating traditional skills in crime victim services;
upholding wellness, mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally;
and framing victim services around tribal traditions.
- Ensuring Safety, Justice and Healing for Seven Generations of Children: Addressing
child sexual abuse and education on developing programs for victims of
child sexual abuse; emphasis on crime victims within the juvenile
justice system and support for keeping youth within the community. Working
in Harmony: Building partnerships with federal agencies; education on
the importance of networking and working together in collaboration to
strengthen services; and networking with Native men to address domestic
violence and sexual assault.
- Supporting and Educating Tribal Leaders: Educating and supporting efforts of tribal leaders to achieve accountability and responsibility to victims of crime.
- Sustaining our Legacy: Developing skills and
incorporating cultural approaches to enhance sustainability and
measurability; increasing the accuracy of victimization research; and
developing capacity within victim services.
- Healing the Healers: Ensuring safety and support for service providers.